There are many activities that you may undertake during your stay at Hotel Bandolero. While here, why not enjoy a bit of nature in the Upper Genal Valley or in one of the area's three national parks, Sierra de Grazalema, Sierra de las Nieves or Los Alcornocales?
Below is a list of activities available in the Genal Valley and the Serrania de Ronda area. You can find contact details for some of these activities under our "Contacts" page or you can give us a ring and we will be happy to make advance arrangements on your behalf with a local service provider.
Local Festivals of the Genal Valley
- Farajan, Festival of Patron Saint, San Sebastian
- Parauta - Annual Festival and Cultural Week
- Alpandeire, Festival of San Roque
- Alpandeire, Festival of San Roque
- Atajate - Festival of San Roque
- Igualeja, Festival of Patron Saint
- 18 - 21 August 2016 - Júzcar Festival of Patron Saint, La Virgín de Moclon * *
- Ronda, Festival of Pedro Romero & the Corrida Goyesca.
- Ronda, Festival in the San Francisco Quarter
- Pujerra, Chestnut Festival
- Alpandeire, Festival of La Virgen del Rosario
- Cartajima, Chestnuts Toasting Party
- Parauta Festival of the Rabbit - mid-month
- Cartajima, Mosto Festival
- Júzcar Chestnut Festival
- Júzcar, 10th Annual Mushroom Conference * *
- Farajan, Festival for the Immaculate Conception
- There are several walks one can enjoy from Hotel Bandolero and Juzcar. Here is a link to the "Walking in Andalucia" website which outlines many walks/trails one can take to enjoy a stroll through our lushious, wonderful, gorgeous and soothing countryside. Complimentary use walking guide, "The Guide to the Footpaths of the Serrania de Ronda", are also available in the hotel for client use while staying at Hotel Bandolero. There is also information available here regarding the natural parks in the area; La Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park has many walks available through beautiful countryside with incredible views and wild & bird life.
- There are also a couple of new walks in Júzcar that have yet to be published, one in particular through the Riscos. Information on these walks is available in the hotel. In the spring, the valley is covered with hundreds of wild flowers, changing weekly.
- Mr Henderson's Railway Walk:- This short and easy walk in the Guadiaro Valley follows a delightful riverside & cliffside path, which links the sleepy village of Estacion de Benaojan with the sleepier-still hamlet of Estacion de Jimera de Libar. It begins at the Molino del Santo, a hotel just up from the railway line.
- Hiking and trekking through the Genal Valley or one of the local natural parks, Sierra de Grazalema, Los Alcornocales or La Sierra de las Nieves Biosphere; this can be done on your own, exploring the local parks and trails or you can hire a guide to take you along, explaining the plants and wildlife in the area as you go. If you would like to organise guided hiking, please contact us at Hotel Bandolero.
Bird watching - Guided tours for birdwatchers are available with a local resident bird expert, available in English and Castillian. Hotel Bandolero is proud to be a member of the Andalucian Bird Society. The Serrania de Ronda and Andalucia as a whole are home to many species of birds including birds of prey and more being located in an important migratory corridor. Vultures & eagles are among the most common birds soaring above the Genal Valley.
For more information, prices and reservations on the birds of the Serrania de Ronda, click on the Birds link: Birds of the Serrania
For more information on bird life in Andalucia, please see the following page: Andalucia Bird Society
- Buitre Tours with your guide Frank Hair. Buitre offers tours for all types of birder, from the experienced to the beginner, or for those just wanting to see something special with someone passionate about birds. Full and half day tours, 1 - 3 person, are available, tailored to suit your requirements; take a tour to see the Griffin vultures at one of the largest colonies in Europe or at least one of their feeding sites. If that's not for you, there are plenty of WOW birds including bee-eaters, flamingos and eagles. All equipment supplied. Full day tour, 60Euros per person, 35Euros per person for groups of 2 or more. Contact us directly at Hotel Bandolero to arrange your advanced booking with Frank.
Guided Wild Mushroom Walk - Go for a walk in the countryside with a local guide to explore what's popping up. For more information, to arrange your group walk and for prices, please call us on 64.809.2242.
Lounging poolside here at El Bandolero enjoying a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains and valley.
Extreme Outdoor Adventures
- Canyoning - "The Devil's Abyss" ("La Sima del Diablo") in the Júzcar river. Highly recommended for all who come to Juzcar; the landscape along the river banks in the Genal Valley are not to be missed!! Level of difficulty, easy.
Cooking classes at Hotel Bandolero - Enjoy a cooking class with Chef Ivan while staying at in the Genal Valley. Try your hand at Ajo Blanco or a new dessert. See our Theme Holidays pages for more information. Organised painting holidays - Come and enjoy a week of painting in the Genal Valley and surrounding areas. Any medium of painting is welcome while the workshops specialize in pastels and oils. Please see HB's "Theme Holidays" page for details of packages, times and instructors. Cueva de Pileta, Benaojan - Palaeolithic paintings of horses, goats, fish and a seal dating from 20,000 to 25,000 years ago preserved in this impressive cave. For details on admission fee and opening hours, please see HB's Contacts page.
Ronda - there are many sites of historical and cultural interest in Ronda. Why not enjoy a morning in historic Ronda and then spend some time relaxing in a few Tapas Bars, having a glass of wine or a beer and try a few tapas? Click Here to view some recommended tapaerias in Ronda along with some of our favorite tapitas in each location. Ronda la Vieja (Acinipo) - Ruined hilltop Roman town, with partially reconstructed amphitheatre. Wine Museum, Ronda - New museum which offers the opportunity to learn about the Ronda area wines. There is a wine tradtion in Ronda that goes back for 6,000 years. The museum is housed in an old villa in the historic old town of Ronda. For information on admission and opening hours, please see HB's Contacts page.
Smurf Activities - The village businesses are working together to organise Smurf related activities available at the weekends and during bank holidays for children coming to visit the "Smurf Village". Currently (07-2016), the following activities are available: making Smurf hats, painting faces Smurf blue, painting nails, Tapas Route for adults, photos with Smurfs, occasional Smurf Market in village plaza and the Smurf Show (weekends and bank holidays). Come back soon to see any new activities that have newly sprung up this year.
- Caving and/or rock climbing in Grazalema Natural Park or La Sierra de las Nieves Park
- Swimming in the Rio Genal below Juzcar village in a beautiful spot with plenty of shade, a snack stand and plenty of fresh, cool river water!
- Swimming in the Júzcar village pool, only a short 15 minute walk from Hotel Bandolero. There is also a bar / snack-stand.
- White Villages: while Júzcar is the only blue village in Andalusia (and all of Spain for that matter), there are white villages all over Andalucia, some more famous than others, take a driving tour of the white villages, locally known as pueblos blancos, of the Genal Valley. While this may not be "the" tour of the pueblos blancos, famous in Cádiz province, these are nevertheless, white villages in Málaga. There are 21 white villages in the region of Ronda alone, all appear similar but each have some distinction.
- La Serranía de Ronda: the mountains all around Júczar with more than 21 white villages.
- Valle del Genal: Fabrica de Hojalata de San Miguel (San Miguel Tin Factory Ruin), the first and oldest factory erected in Spain. See the ruins of Spain's oldest factory, first opened in 1731 in Júzcar.
- Autumnal chestnut picking as well as brilliant autumnal foliage.
- Take a tour of La Sierra de las Nieves where you will discover Pinsapo Trees, walking trails, birds, flowers and much more that nature has to offer.
- Enjoy beautiful views of Genal Valley and the La Serrania de Ronda. Click here for more information: About the Genal Valley
As you can see, there are many activities that one can enjoy here in the Genal Valley from bird watching to wild mushrooms walks to walking the many trails, viewing the spectacular wild flowers in springtime, local wine tastings, mountain biking, painting, photography, learning a new recipe in a cooking class, rappelling in a wet suit enjoying a guided walk or simply enjoying a scrumptious meal topped off with a spectacular dessert, all while relaxing at the Hotel Bandolero. br>